Thursday, October 3, 2013

Hello, October




It's hard to believe it's already October. This time next year will be that eerie calm before the storm, since it's our wedding month. In fact, it's a wedding month for a lot of people. October seems to be the June of the fall wedding season! We have two weddings this month and I'm really looking forward to both. The first is this Saturday at Woodbury Country Club. We were actually going to visit it during the venue search, as it's right by Crest Hollow Country Club, which we did get to visit. However, we had gotten to CHCC so late that by the time it was over, WCC probably wasn't going to show anyone around. Not only that but we were all tired and hungry so we skipped out on it. Obviously no regrets there as shortly later we found Chateau Briand. But I am looking forward to seeing WCC. Not only that but I think the wedding planning was done by Fairy Tale Events, and I wanted to use some of their products, so I'm really curious how it turns out.

The second wedding is on the 18th at Sand Castle. Jonathan has known the groom for many years and I got to know Anthony and his soon-to-be-wife Bryn through him. They are a fun couple and so I know this wedding is going to be one heck of a night. Not only that but Sand Castle was a place I fell in love with during our search, so I like that we get to go to a wedding there and attend it as a guest and not as potential bride and groom.

Last night, we checked out a limo recommendation from two friends of ours who got married last year. We met with the owner and talked about what we would need; he ran some numbers and it all looked good. Jonathan's parents are generously taking care of the limo so we wanted to run it by them first before signing anything. The transportation was one of those things that I felt were hanging over our heads. I didn't want to wait too long to check 'limo' off the list of things to do, but even though we didn't sign any contracts, getting our information in their books was good enough for me, for now. The name of the company is Nowstar Limo and I'm definitely liking what they offer.

On Tuesday, Kim and I met up at the Michael's in the Upper West Side. I worked in the Upper East Side many years ago and can probably walk around blindfolded there and still get around. But when it comes to the Upper West Side, it's foreign territory. That's why I was nicely surprised to see a whole shopping area on Columbus Avenue between 97th and 100th streets. Will definitely have to go again. I'd like to say Michael's was a success! Check out the goodies I left with:


Prior to this visit, I didn't really know what color could accent the navy blue I wanted to use in the color scheme. I knew the flowers would have blues, whites, orange and maybe some yellow. The intention of the Michael's visit was to check out things to make the seating place cards with. (We ultimately decided not to go with the seating chart.) They didn't have a pumpkin paper puncher as I was hoping but they did have leaves. I decided maybe that was a good thing. I don't want to overdo the whole pumpkin thing. So once the leaves were decided on, we were trying to figure out what color. Then Kim suggested....what about gold? Brilliant! It's the perfect fall color. Sunny yellow would be too much and I didn't want that anyway. But gold complements blue nicely, especially a darker shade of blue like navy. I'm excited to test these out. 

The Tuesday before that, two of my bridesmaids decided to come with me to try on dresses, just to see what would look good on them. Alex (my aunt) came and took her two daughters, who are also playing flower girls for the wedding, as well as Tiffany (one of my oldest friends.) I have to say, they were great sports about trying on dress after dress! In Woodside, where my parents and aunt live, there is a David's Bridal within walking distance from the house. We didn't feel like sticking the kids in the car for a drive to Long Island so we decided to stay local. It was fun seeing them in dresses and you know what? They looked great in anything they tried on! Good problems to have, huh? I like David's Bridal but I know I don't want to use them. There were dresses though, that even if I didn't like, these girls made it look great! 


They didn't have many sample dresses in navy but this was style they mutually liked. Ayla saw her mommy change and wanted to get in on the action, lol. (Hence why she has no clothes on in this picture).




I looooved Tiffany in this dress! The sash is a dark purple and it compliments the pink so well. If I were doing a spring or summer wedding, I would have considered this color combo. 

It was an eventful afternoon and made me excited for picking out the dresses for real. Even Ayla was checking out dresses for herself!


I could only handle one kid running around so Eliza was in her stroller the entire time, hogging my phone :-P

Oh! And in the spirit of weddings...today is my parents' 28th wedding anniversary :) This was them at my mom's prom. The 'fros, the ruffles...yep, this was the 80s all right!



2 comments:

  1. OHH i'm so jealous you're going to a wedding at Sand Castle this month - I can't wait to hear all about it. I, as you know, got married there, but would love to attend it as a guest to get a different perspective.

    I went to a band showcase at Woodbury Country club and it was def. beautiful, but I haven't seen the rest of the place. Can't wait to hear about these weddings!

    Happy Anniversary to your parents!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the anniversary wishes!!

      And I will definitely post pictures from the Sand Castle. The ceremony will take place there as well so curious how that goes.

      Delete