Saturday, September 14, 2013

Finding The One! (The dress, not the man)


Whoops, no blog yesterday....thanks to a nasty cold that turned into feverish symptoms that turned into me passing out in a deep sleep once I got home.

But not even that cold could change the excitement of buying my wedding dress! 



The dress adventure was brief but informative nonetheless. I learned that what I had in mind was really not what I ended up liking. On a Monday back in August, the 19th I think, my mom and I decided to go to David's Bridal to check out wedding dresses, and my dad and youngest brother tagged along. I knew it was still kind of early really but why not see what's out there? The kicker is, the one dress my mom and I had been eyeballing ended up looking just awful on me, haha. But the good thing about that is, I knew what style not to get now. I may have tried on 4 total and decided that was enough. It's work in the dressing room getting in and out! Well, at least it was that first day. Dad and Michael were really funny with their feedback. I made an appointment for two weeks later but ended up canceling that one. 

The girl I had at David's Bridal was really so nice and helped make it a great first dress experience but I knew I wouldn't be going with David's Bridal. Ironically enough I would have to use them for another event but more on that later...

So this past Monday, being my parents day off, they asked if we would be doing anything wedding related today, like trying on dresses and I said sure, there's two places we could go: Macy's in Manhasset or The Wedding Plaza, in Floral Park. I heard many good reviews about that particular Macy's Bridal Salon so I leaned towards that. We hopped on the LIRR and it was surprisingly, a fast walk from the station. 


It's pretty small in there but that can work to your advantage. You don't want to get lost in a shop. Being that it was Monday (me working nights and my parents being off that day really works for us with this wedding process!) it was empty in there. So they took us right away. A woman named Nellie would be helping us. When she asked us what our budget was, we just laughed and said we didn't have one but what was their price range? Anywhere from $900 to $4,000, Nellie said. Too bad my dad was downstairs shopping otherwise I'm sure he would have had a funny remark to say! My dad did come up eventually and after trying on four dresses, I found the one. Easy as that! I didn't even want to try on the remaining ones.

And it's funny too because we started off by just picking stuff off the racks to try on. How it looks on a hanger and how it looks on a person really is like night and day for me. Before I went into the dressing room to start trying on, my mom says, "I added one more in there."

The dress we fell in love with ended up being that one. Mother really does know best!

So after we decided, yes this is it, my mom spotted a dress she liked for herself. Whether it be a potential dress for the day of or just a dress to wear for a special occasion, it was on sale for an insane reduced amount (85%!) so I don't blame her for getting it. In the interim, I was texting a few people my discovery. Good thing I did that because Kim suggested waiting for a sale. She had also gotten her dress there. Well, what do you know. After asking Nellie, we learned there was a sale that weekend! (Thanks, Kim!) So we came back Friday, just my mom and I, who was nice enough to switch her hours and work later. 

All week my mom had been back and forth about it. She was pretty sure we should look at more. And although that would have been fun, you know what? I'm sure I would have found a beautiful dress at Kleinfelds or RK Bridal. If there weren't so many gorgeous dresses, all girls in NYC would be wearing the same dress! So I stuck to my gut and said no I didn't want to try on anymore.

Putting the dress back on with the veil yesterday helped confirm not only to me, but to my mom, that this was the right choice. She was way too cute sitting there wiping away her tears when I stood there in full ensemble. Haha, she kills me!

So there's that. Now I can focus on a million other things that need to get done. Hooray!  A nice big check! Next up: meeting with the priest today.

1 comment: