Friday, September 6, 2013

Book a vendor here, book a vendor there...

I think I have written more lists in the past month or so than I have in my entire 27 years and 10 months of life!

To keep my sanity, I find that it works. If you break it down, you have to factor in over hundreds of details for a traditional wedding and reception. Not a hundred but hundreds. I don't have enough space to keep all those lists! The best thing I did this week was buy this book:


It really doesn't cost much so I highly recommend buying it straight from a bookstore and not used so  that you can jot down notes in the lines provided on the sides of each page. 

This past week, we got a lot done, which makes this gal very happy. On Wednesday, Jonathan, my mom and myself headed to Brooklyn to meet with the photographer (Robbie) and florist (Manny). We know the photographer through family. His wife is Jonathan's bro-in-law's cousin. I've seen enough of his work that I knew I liked it before going into the meeting, and plus it was nice that we already knew him so the comfort factor is there. I mean, the photographer is pretty much one of the people the bride & groom spend all day with! Robbie worked for various studios and brings a lot of experience to the plate. He is now venturing out and trying his own thing too. He offered us a great package that includes videography and a short recap during the reception. Since we requested two photographers, Robbie will be working alongside Tony. Tony was one of the photographers that shot my friend Kim's wedding last December. Kim introduced us because I am a photo student and thought we could chat. I liked Tony right away. Very personable and I appreciate him giving me pointers about lighting and flash photography. He even let me assist him one day last year. Shortly after, I learned Robbie and Tony knew each other. Not only knew each other, but worked together and were close. So I'm happy we'll be having two photographers who I trust and know will produce great photographs on our wedding day. It actually pains me that I can't bring my own camera to my wedding! :-P



After sitting down with Robbie, who is temporarily working out of the flower shop, we got to sit with Manny, of Steve's Flower Shop, and talk ideas. Talk about killing two birds with one stone. Luckily, there's still so much more time before we have to sit down and pick out floral arrangements and bouquets because I'm still not ready! Even though I knew I wasn't ready, since they are in the same building for now, why not meet both. And also to hear price ranges and get a feel of what they have, it helped me prepare for when we actually do have to start talking flowers. There's so many to choose from, although certain ones aren't in season in October so that will help narrow it down. You wouldn't believe how much I worried about that meeting! If you had asked me what kind of flowers I liked before doing all this research, I would have said "pretty ones." I'm glad I have time to think. I don't even have a set color scheme yet (besides blue).

After that, we were all starving. I think at that point it was 5:30pm and I had yet to eat all day! Just one of those days that fly by. Anyway, Robbie had recommended a place nearby called Gino's. It smelled amazing as soon as we walked through the door. I got my usual white clam linguine but I want to go back and try other dishes. I sense a ritual every time we're in the area!

Another thing we knocked off the list was meeting and signing with the DJ. Caleps is another vendor we found through Jonathan's sister and brother-in-law because they had done their wedding seven years ago, as well as a number of other family events. As Peter, our DJ, put it: "we're family!" 

Last week he was DJing at the 18th Avenue Feast and we thought it would be a good opportunity to go down and see him in person to talk about the package details before signing anything. They used to have a studio space but it wasn't worth the rent since they were doing all their business through word of mouth anyway. Hence why we met him at the feast. Last night, we called to talk about the exact pricing and what would be in the package...and signed the contract. Yay! 

DJ....check.
Photographer/videographer....check.


Cue the happy dance.



No comments:

Post a Comment