Thursday, January 9, 2014

Bridesmaid dress hunt

On Monday, I got the itch to be productive, wedding wise, and told myself the hunt for a bridesmaid dress must begin. I had looked online here and there but nothing compares to seeing it in person. My mom and sister joined me at Macy's in Herald Square. The vibe of the bridal salon there compared to one in Manhasset, where I got my wedding dress, was completely different. It's not that the Manhattan location didn't have a nice staff. They just seemed tired and like they didn't want to be there. Nonetheless, they were nice enough to take me without an appointment! We went with the notion of "just looking" but then I did actually see a dress I liked! So the lady was able to take care of us before her appointment arrived.

I didn't have her try on many, since like I said, we didn't have an appointment. She put on different colors. Here was one. If I were having a spring or summer wedding, I would have absolutely gone with a shade like that!

In this one she's holding the dress I wanted her to try on, lol.

All the different shades.




             
          


At first Robyn was not digging the navy blue on her. We were both not expecting to try anything on, so she didn't come with her hair done or makeup on (not that she needs it to look pretty but you know how girls are!) so I convinced her that navy blue did look good on her. 

Isn't she nuts? I thought she looked great! She didn't have the sleeves up for the picture. I thought maybe to make her stand out as maid-of-honor she could add something sparkly around her waist or something. The other colors provided for this dress don't really fit the color scheme. I'm going for a fall look, think blues, orange, white, gold. I would put her in gold but the only color close to that is canary yellow. Too bright! Unless I change the color scheme and add purple (as an accent color) to the blue. The options are endless, really!

Robyn had asked me, why this brand? I heard many good things about Bill Levkoff's line and had seen enough to know I liked it. Plus, if this story isn't endorsement enough, I don't know what is!

I saw these pictures in October of Danielle Fishel's wedding (ya know, Topanga from Boy Meets World) and the dresses looked gorgeous. I had saved them to my phone for inspiration and Gina (one of my bridesmaids) sent me a link to those pictures shortly after! Great minds think alike! When Danielle posted a link to her pictures, I asked where these dresses were from.


And she actually responded! And was very sweet, too.




The best part of our time spent at Macy's was that they had my dress in the store! So I got to try it on again, which was much appreciated since I was starting to forget what it looked like on me! As an added bonus, they let me take pictures in it, which I couldn't do in Manhasset. I really appreciate that because now I have a visual. As an added bonus, my mom got me the headpiece to wear the day of! (Thanks mom <3) It's pretty and sparkly and that's good enough for me! It should come in by next month. This will be good to have so I can take with me to a hair trial. Speaking of hair, this is the one thing that I am clueless about. As of today, I don't have a set person or set style in mind. I would love to use the woman who does my highlights but it's not just me getting my hair done and I don't think she does weddings in that capacity. I did find one girl based in Astoria whose work looks really nice so I will contact her. At least I know she won't have to travel far! 

So far, January is starting off on the right foot! Not only in terms of checking things off the to-do list but also because right before the New Year, Jonathan started a new job! A friend of his from grade school (who just so happened to witness Jonathan proposing the night of! Small world right?!) hooked him up. The company is based in the Empire State Building so his commute hasn't changed much; he used to work in Rockefeller Center. Not only that but from my house in Woodside, when walking to the train, you can see the Empire State Building, so it's like I get to "see" him, if I'm in the area while he's at work. This job couldn't have better timing! Thank the good Lord. Too bad nothing opened up in California! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Omg so awesome she tweeted you back!! Twitter is kinda awesome like that! Mine were bill lefkoff too...you've made a great choice in style and color..your friend looks great in it!

    ReplyDelete